February 14, 2019
3D Systems announces new releases of Geomagic for SolidWorks 2019 and 3DXpert for SolidWorks 14—two software solutions created to help SolidWorks users streamline 3D scan data workflows and optimize and prepare part designs for 3D printing for plastic and metal additive manufacturing. Designed exclusively for the SolidWorks community, these software solutions enable SolidWorks users to streamline their digital workflows to design and produce better parts, faster.
“3D Systems’ end-to-end software solutions are a catalyst in the product development cycle,” says Radhika Krishnan, senior vice president, general manager, software, 3D Systems. “With the new releases of Geomagic for SolidWorks and 3DXpert for SolidWorks, 3D Systems is reinforcing our commitment to the SolidWorks community to streamline digital product design as well as making additive manufacturing an integral part of the workflow—increasing efficiencies and lowering total cost of operation.”
Geomagic for SolidWorks is a complete integrated 3D scan-to-SolidWorks software solution. The software helps designers reduce the time required to build CAD models of real-world objects from hours to minutes by using advanced, automated wizards to quickly and easily create sketches, surfaces and feature-based editable solid parts inside SolidWorks, directly from 3D Scan data, according to 3D Systems.
Available worldwide in 13 languages, Geomagic for SolidWorks has received SolidWorks’ Gold Product Certification. The newest version of Geomagic for SolidWorks will enable users to:
- Scan with the latest devices and import the most recent formats needed for their workflows, facilitating more rapid design.
- Capture color data of scanned objects and import it into SolidWorks: Geomagic for SolidWorks now allows the direct scanning or importing of scans with color information into SolidWorks.
- Work in a more intuitive user interface and user experience environment, with a clearer distinction between the scan-specific tools and the SolidWorks application’s own tools.
- Enhance workflows: New tools and enhancements provide users with more streamlined workflows in their modeling process through new commands for Probe Points, Extract Reference Point and Edit Scan to manipulate multiple scan objects simultaneously.
General availability of the new version of Geomagic for SolidWorks is planned for March 2019. Designers and engineers can download a free 15-day trial of Geomagic for SolidWorks.
3DXpert for SolidWorks is an add-on for SolidWorks, extending its design capabilities with a complete design for additive manufacturing (DfAM) toolset, equipping designers with everything they need to prepare and optimize their designs for 3D printing.
The new version of 3DXpert for SolidWorks enhances the path from SolidWorks to additive manufacturing and enables users to:
- Design more shapes in more ways: new lattice types and extensive control over lattice structures, allow users to develop their own structures, creating lighter weight parts with enhanced functional properties.
- Shorten time to market: a click of a button in SolidWorks brings SolidWorks CAD data directly into 3DXpert for SolidWorks and read back to SolidWorks optimized and ready for print data.
- Design with Additive Manufacturing in Mind: New 2D / 3D nesting tools, new joint-cut tool and enhanced part orientation and analysis tools in the new version, make manufacturing considerations accessible to SolidWorks designers during the design process.
Available exclusively to SolidWorks customers, 3DXpert for SolidWorks standard edition is available via download. Additional add-ons and 3DXpert for SolidWorks Professional edition are available through the VAR network.
Sources: Press materials received from the company and additional information gleaned from the company’s website.
More 3D Systems Coverage
About the AuthorDE Editors
DE’s editors contribute news and new product announcements to Digital Engineering.
Press releases may be sent to them via [email protected].